Thursday, January 29, 2015

Creativity

Recently the president of Pixar, Ed Catmull spoke at my alma mater. I wasn't able to attend but I read the news release. It sounds like it was a really great speech. In the speech Catmull said that "Creativity is about solving problems." and warning there's a possible rant here. I think that quote is absolutely true. I know a lot of science/math type people and they're always talking about the importance of math for problem solving skills, and I'm sure that's true (I believe in these conversations I was questioning the actual use and practicality of higher maths for most people) but I always argued that I had problem solving skills and math is not the author of them. I guess what I'm trying to say here is that while math and science are great, I'm really sick of them being touted like they're the only virtues while the arts get side lined. The arts have such great power and creativity is useful to everyone! Anyway read the article, it's a good one!

No comments:

Post a Comment