Friday, October 31, 2014

A tip for aspiring artists

So something I didn't realize as an art student, was how important it was or would become to have the skills to photograph my own work. As a student it was more about having good representations to make into slides to enter shows etc. and I relied heavily on my dad who's BA is in photography (though that's not what he's done professionally). Technology has evolved (in the five years since I graduated) and I have a website, this blog, and a facebook page for my art and my routine is to photograph my art and get it online for people to see as soon as I can after finishing a piece. Again my dad has been a tech savvy help here, when I got my first digital camera, I've borrowed his tripod, he showed me to the free editing program that I use, he had a more high tech editing program that I've started using more and more, my photographs of my art have come a long way. It's still really tricky, I have a tendency to take my art all the way to the edge of my paper etc. and you can tell if the cropping turns out weird.
Photographing art is tricky and sadly I can't afford to pay a professional (and I hear a good one is hard to find, I've been lucky to have one when I need it) all or even half the time. I wish that I could have taken a class on photographing my work, or that one had even existed. Meanwhile, I'm doing the best I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment