Wednesday, May 28, 2014

The Arts

"The arts are lost only too easily, and it takes a long time and much effort for them to be rediscovered." 
-Albrecht Durer, The Painter's Manual pg 36

So I would like to take a minute and talk about how the great the arts are. I mean no slight to any other fields or studies but the arts give us so much and are often underrated. 
I've been reminded of the power and beauty of the arts. Recently I watched a movie that I would absolutely classify as a work of art, it was so well made and such a beautiful story. I'm reading a book right now that's again, so well crafted, it causes me to think and ponder things as much as it provides enjoyment. I have heard music in live performances that gives me goosebumps because it's so beautiful. There are pieces of visual art that I feel in my soul.
We need the arts, we need these experiences, I think we may need them to be human, or perhaps we need them because we are human. How much better the world could be if we put a little more focus towards beauty. How much war, horror and violence could be avoided by better awareness of beauty. How much better our quality of life could be. The arts and beauty matter.

No comments:

Post a Comment